If you've worked in print management for any length of time, you've probably identified a number of mistakes commonly made by executives, IT admins, as well as end users. Some might focus on wastefulness and inefficiency at key points throughout the print environment. Some might have to do with the difficulty of changing established printing habits among employees. Others might concern how enterprise print management solutions are justified and implemented.
On that last note, one of the most common mistakes we see in enterprise print management is the installation or replacement of print servers when they're just not necessary. Over the years print servers have become an accepted enterprise print management solution that many organizations choose to endure rather than question—despite print servers' inherent flaws, such as an absence of centralized management, the ongoing expense of upgrades and maintenance, and their lack of robustness. If you owned a car that had terrible fuel efficiency, broke down constantly on the highway, and required inordinate amounts of time and money just to keep it running, would you go out and buy another one just like it?
The good news is that this is one mistake that's easily rectified. Enterprise print management software like PrinterLogic can actually replace print servers completely while bringing additional features, resiliency and scalability to your print environment.
In terms of IT architecture alone, PrinterLogic has the potential to drastically reduce server infrastructure. Techs from one company recently told us that they managed to replace close to 150 remote print servers with a single server running PrinterLogic based at their headquarters. That highlights just how powerful and robust PrinterLogic can be. And you can bet that print servers are one print management mistake that company won't make again.
So how does PrinterLogic's enterprise print management solution supersede print servers?
- Centralized print management: You can effortlessly deploy and administer printers as well as drivers from anywhere in the organization using PrinterLogic's Web-based console.
- User empowerment: With PrinterLogic's intuitive self-service portal, end users can easily locate, identify and install printers themselves with a single-click, saving a call to the service desk.
- Seamless integration with virtual environments: With print servers, Citrix and VMware require additional configuration and frequent troubleshooting. Our enterprise print management software instead leverages these virtual solutions to enhance their native printing features while providing streamlined administration.
- Reduce network congestion: Because PrinterLogic prints directly from endpoint devices to the printers, print jobs don't cross the WAN. That frees up bandwidth and speeds up print times.
- Automated deployment and installation: Configure printers en masse or individually, then set them to deploy automatically and dynamically according to your specified criteria. Print management doesn't get any easier.
- Dedicated modules: PrinterLogic's optional Mobile and Pull Printing modules introduce simple, secure, platform-agnostic enterprise printing from mobile devices such as tablets and smart phones—even on legacy printers.
- Comprehensive auditing: Use the Auditing module to keep a macro- and micro-level watch on your entire print environment and spot potential cost-saving targets.
And that's only the start. What you'll notice, though, is that many common print management mistakes—poor network optimization, fragmented management, driver conflicts, lack of integration and oversight—can be avoided through PrinterLogic. That's especially true for print servers, which in many cases might be the biggest mistake of all.
As Vice President of Marketing for PrinterLogic, it's my privilege to share our Eliminate Print Servers message through our marketing channels. We recently engaged TechValidate to survey our customers. The results were staggering: Almost 100% would recommend PrinterLogic; ROI over 100% for 88% of our customers; 99% report ease of use as great or better; 84% installed our solution in less than 10 days; and much more. Over the coming weeks and months, I will be sharing more results from the survey through our blog. I hope you enjoy the information. Don't hesitate to comment or contact us if you have any questions.