What you need to know when upgrading from Printer Installer 4.0 to Printer Installer 13.2
What are the major differences between Printer Installer 4.0 and Printer Installer 13.2?
- Web based
Printer Installer 13.2 is a web application that is ran on a IIS webserver.
PPPAdmin.exe Administrator functionality is now included in a web based Administrator console
PPPClient.exe functionality is now included in the new Printer Installer Client (PrinterInstallerClient.exe) that is installed on each computer and runs as a service. Simply use the provided PrinterInstallerClient.msi to easily deploy the new client.
Printer Installer Portal (for self-service printer installation) functionality is now included in a web based Portal.
PI 13.2 has a database back-end. With a database back-end, multiple administrators can be using the Administrator simultaneously.
- No Active Directory tree browser -Windows Print Server Links
PI 13.2 no longer shows the Active Directory tree in the Administrator. To view AD printers and set deployment assignments create Windows Print Server Links.
Features of Printer Installer 4.0 not included in Printer Installer 13.2
- Printer Install Console. This is replaced with the web based Printer Installer Portal.
- Ability to deploy printers by Novell eDirectory groups
- Ability to set printer profiles at each logon or every x minutes
- Ability to set default printer by printer name in computer description
- Ability to Profile AD printers (not necessary with Windows print servers)
- AD Shared printer profiles are not migrated
- Ability to remove printers not deployed or installed by Printer Installer
- Ability to create an exception list for removing printers not specifically deployed by Printer Installer
- Ability to browse the AD tree, select an AD object, select the deploy tab and add the printer object to enable the printer to be automatically deployed to the AD object during the next client check-in. With Printer Installer 13.2 you browse to the printer, select the deploy tab and add the AD object.
In Printer Installer 4.0 and older versions, the licensing model has been a product version license with an optional maintenance license (support and upgrades). Printer Installer 13.2 also has an option for a subscription license where you buy a subscription to use the product for a specified time period, in which case there are no initial product, maintenance or upgrade costs, only the cost of the subscription. Once the subscription time period has expired the product will no longer function until a new subscription license is added.
With a current Printer Installer 4.0 maintenance license you can request a free Printer Installer 13.2 license that will expire on the same date as your Printer Installer 4.0 maintenance
. If you do not have a current Printer Installer 4.0 maintenance license simply purchase a Printer Installer 13.2 subscription.
If you upgrade to Printer Installer 13.2, the Printer Installer 13.2 subscription license will expire on the expiration date of your current Printer Installer 4.0 maintenance license. Prior to the subscription expiring, simply renew the subscription.
If you do not upgrade to Printer Installer 13.2 you can continue to use PI4 but support will be discontinued when your Printer Installer 4.0 maintenance expires.
How to migrate from Printer Installer 4.0 to Printer Installer 13.2
Click here for instructions on how to migrate from Printer Installer 4.0 to Printer Installer 5.0