The client is required for end users to use the portal to install printers or for printer provisioning by deployment. End users can self-install the client, or you can automate the installation of the client.
Printer Installer Client Installation Requirements:
The following components will be installed as part of the Printer Installer client installation process:
- Service: Name - "Printer Installer Client Launcher". Operating system requirements - See here. Rights - Administrator or system rights are required to install the service.
- Browser Plug-in: Name - "Printer Installer Client Plugin". Web browser requirements - See here. Rights - Default browser security policies allow the MSI to install the plug-in. If you have browser security policies enabled that restrict permissions, verify that the account installing the Client has rights to install the plug-in. Additionally, verify that the Printer Installer Portal URL will be trusted to allow the Portal to communicate with the Printer Installer Plug-in.
Printer Installer Client Installation Methods
Important: The client is automatically configured with the Printer Installer server URL when installed using the manual method below. If you use the automated method below be sure to include the command line parameter that sets the HOMEURL value when automating the installation of the client.
Method #1: Manually Installing the Printer Installer Client
To manually install the client visit the Printer Installer Portal and click on the Install Client link in the top right corner.
Method #2: Automating the Printer Installer Client Installation
Using a GPO or 3rd party application, run the PrinterInstallerClient.msi with the following command line parameters:
\\servershare\PrinterInstallerClient.msi /qn HOMEURL=http://PrinterInstallerPortalURL
msiexec /i PrinterInstallerClient.msi /qn HOMEURL=http://PrinterInstallerPortalURL
- PrinterInstallerClient.msi is in the C:\inetpub\wwwroot\client\setup folder of your Printer Installer server.
- The /qn command runs the install silently
- You can copy the PrinterInstallerClient.msi to a different distribution point.
- If installing on a multi-user environment such as Terminal Services or Citrix Virtual Apps, you will need to configure the client for Remote Desktop Services mode.
Method #3: Automate installing the Printer Installer Client with a Group Policy software installation package
- Open the C:\inetpub\wwwroot\client\setup folder on the web server. In the folder is a config.ini that is used to specify the home directory of the Printer Installer Client, so that the Printer Installer Client knows what page to open to when users click the Start, programs, Printer Installer, "Add Printer" item or the system tray icon. Only the home directory value is required. Example: HomeURL=http://printers.domain.com
- Edit the config.ini file to reflect your webserver url then place PrinterInstallerClient.msi and the config.ini file in a distribution folder.
- Follow the steps in this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816102 to setup the Group Policy Software Installation Package